What is Good Standing?
ANS Student Sections must do the following things to remain in Good Standing, as required by the ANS Bylaws and Rules:
- Inform the SSC at least once a year of the names and contact information for the section, faculty advisor, and all officers
- File an annual report with the SSC containing a statement of operations
- Adopt the Standard Bylaws for Student Sections (once)
More info is here.
- File Rules (included in the Standard Bylaws and Rules) with the SSC and Bylaws and Rules Committee whenever they change.
You can check the status of your section below.
All sections must submit, an annual report to ANS National and the SSC every year to keep the section in good standing.
In addition, sections must report their new officers as soon as they accept the position. The common practice is to appoint new officers at least one month before the end of the academic year; this allows for continuity and gives the new officers the opportunity to function at one meeting before the group breaks up for the summer. The outgoing officers should leave a record of what was accomplished during the previous year. This record should be kept with the faculty advisor to allow for a history and continuity of the section.
Certificate of Distinction
The Certificate of Distinction is awarded to ANS Student Sections that file an annual report with ANS headquarters; update ANS headquarters with names and contact information for the new officers of the student section; have up to date Bylaws and Rules; organize and submit a report on at least one outreach event; share outreach material with the SSC for other sections to use; and report a non-outreach event for posting on our website.
Congratulations to the recipients of Certificates of Distinction for the 2016-2017 year:
- Air Force Institute of Technology
- Brigham Young University
- The City College of New York
- Georgia Tech
- Kansas State University
- Kennesaw State University
- Louisiana State University
- Missouri University of Science and Technology
- Penn State University
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
- Texas A&M University
- United States Naval Academy
- University of California, Berkeley
- University of California, Irvine
- University of Florida
- University of Idaho
- University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
- University of Nevada, Las Vegas
- University of Nevada, Reno
- University of New Mexico
- University of Pittsburgh
- University of Texas, Austin
- University of Wisconsin, Madison
- Virginia Commonwealth University
(those in Good Standing are Active, but those that are listed as Active are not in Good Standing):
- active: filed Annual Report at least once in last 3 years (Annual Report includes officer info)
- in flux: filed full officer info at least once in last 5 years but Annual Report is > 3 years overdue
- inactive: gave SSC some sort of confirmation that a section exists (e.g. contact info for a president or an advisor) within last 8 years but have not provided full officer info in > 5 years
- dormant: SSC unable to confirm that a section exists (e.g. contact info for a president or an advisor) anytime within last 8 years, or section has requested dissolution