The Student Sections Committee (formerly the Student Activities Committee and Student Branches Committee) serves to represent the student members of the American Nuclear Society and their Student Sections. The SSC promotes the participation of students within the Society and facilitates communication between the Student Sections, their members, and ANS National.
- Select hosts for the national student conferences and promote these events.
- Coordinate and facilitate student participation in ANS national conferences.
- Approve the nomination of student representatives to run for Student Director on the ANS Board of Directors
- Establish and maintain communication with and among student sections.
- Ensure the well being of ANS students nationally
The 2019 ANS Student Conference will be held at the Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond, Virginia, April 4th-6th.
2018 ANS Winter Meeting and Nuclear Technology Expo: Joining Forces to Advance Nuclear
November 11-15, 2018
2019 ANS Student Conference
Hosted by the Virginia Commonwealth University
April 4-6, 2019
2019 ANS Annual Meeting
June 9-13, 2019
Follow us on Social Media!
- Register now for the Annual Meeting, June 17-21, 2018 in Philadelphia, PA.
- Registration for the Student Program is now open. There is a participation cap so register now!
- Glasstone Award submissions are due May 1st, 2018. Annual Reports are due May 15th, 2018.
- The 2018 Student Conference, Nuclear Equality in Policy, Energy Access, & Within the Engineering Community, will be held Apr 5th-7th, 2018.
- The Student Video Competition for 2017-2018, hosted by the Young Member’s Group and North American Young Generation in Nuclear is now open! All sections are encouraged to participate. A complete set of rules can be downloaded here.
- Submissions are due March 9th to Matthew Jasica (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Prizes of up to $500 will be awarded to the top 3 submitting sections!
- The winners will be announced at the 2018 Student Conference!
- The Service and Leadership Commendations nomination process is now open! Nominations are due March 1st, 2018.
- Congratulations to Virginia Commonwealth University for being selected to host the 2019 Student Conference!
- Congratulations to the following top posters from the 2018 Winter Meeting Student Poster Session:
- Miriam Rathburn, “Design of an Intermediate Energy Critical Experiment to Validate Nuclear Data and Computational Methods”
- Maria Higgins, “AuTiO2 nanomaterials fabricated through X-rays and their radiosensitizing effect on Methylene Blue degradation”
- Miguel Gonzalez, “Lanthanide Vanadate Nanoparticles as Carriers of 225Ac for Targeted Alpha Therapy”
- Tera Sparks, “Critical Benchmark Designs for Validating Polyethylene and Lucite Thermal Neutron Scattering Cross Sections”
- Gavin Ridley, “An Intro to Moltres, an MSR Multiphysics Code”
- Jonathan Gates, “Design of a Nuclear Thermal Rocket with Low-Enriched Cermet Fuel Using Coupled Monte Carlo-Thermal Hydraulic Analysis”
- The ANS Scholarship applications for the 2018-2019 academic year are now online. The deadline for the General Undergraduate and Graduate Application and all Named scholarships is February 1, 2018. The Incoming Freshman Scholarship and Two-Year College Scholarships have until April 1 to complete their applications.
- The YMG-hosted webinar “Get to Know the Divisions I”, featuring speakers from the Accelerator Applications Division, Aerospace Nuclear Science & Technology Division, and Fusion Energy Division is publicly available on the YMG website.
- Congratulations to the University of Wisconsin-Madison Student Section as recipients of the 2016-2017 Samuel Glasstone Award!
- Check out the new Featured Outreach page for activities other sections are putting on. Submit your ideas to the SSC, and they may be featured on our website!